If the rest of the world didn’t know about the Essex Pelee Island Coast wine region before, they’re sure to know about us now.
25 different wines from WindsorEats member wineries won medals last week at the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition in the state of New York.
This is a great feat considering over 3200 wines from 22 countries were entered into the competition. The judging panel was just as diverse and included 64 professionals from 15 countries.
Here is a look at each winery’s results:
- Double Gold in the Semi Dry category for their 2011 Rose
- Gold for their 2010 Lady in Red
- Gold in the Riesling category for their 2011 Riesling
- Silver in the Chardonnay category for their 2011 Unoaked Chardonnay
- Bronze in the Pinot Gris/Pinot Grigio category for their 2011 Pinot Gris
- Bronze in the Pinot Noir category for their 2010 Pinot Noir
- Bronze in the Cabernet Sauvignon category for their 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Gold for the Bears Special Blend
- Silver in the Elderberry category for their 2008 Elderberry
- Bronze for their 2010 Black Currant
- Bronze for their 2008 Golden Plum
- Bronze in the Raspberry for their 2008 Red Raspberry/Purple Plum
- Bronze for their Strawberry/Red Raspberry
- Silver in the Cabernet Franc category for their 2008 Cabernet Franc
- Silver for their 2010 Posh Cuvee
- Silver in the Riesling category for their 2010 Riesling
- Bronze in the Cabernet Sauvignon category for their 2008 Cabernet Sauvignon
- Bronze in the Chardonnay category for their 2010 Flagship Chardonnay
- Silver in the Cabernet Sauvignon category for their 2010 Alvar Cabernet Sauvignon
- Silver in the Cabernet Franc category for their 2010 Lighthouse Cabernet Franc
- Bronze in the Pinot Noir category for their 2010 Alvar Pinot Noir
- Bronze in the Chardonnay category for their 2011 Eco Trail White
- Bronze in the Riesling category for their 2010 Rielsing Dry – Tribute
- Bronze in the Red Bordeaux Blend category for their 2008 Merlot Cabernet
- Bronze for their 2010 Viogner Pinot Blanc
If you at the list you’ll notice you can click on some of the wines listed. These wines were featured in our annual 30 Days of Local Wine and showcase the wines with everything from tasting notes, suggested food pairings and actual recipes that include or pair perfect with the wine.
If you’re wanting to take it one step further, we sample many of these wines on our provincial and national award winning Wine Trail Rides which are cycling tours to the Essex Pelee Island Coast wineries in our region. Tickets are already for sale with the first ride taking place May 19, 2012.