Cabernet Sauvignon is often referred to as the “King of Red Wine Grapes”. This 2009 Alvar Cabernet Sauvignon VQA Ontario from Pelee Island Winery is full-bodied and characterized by plum, cherry, blackberry, vanilla and tobacco flavours.
It carries an alcohol content of 12.5% and a sugar code of 0.
It is recommended you try this wine with red meats, heartier tomato-based pastas, lamb, strong-flavoured cheese and dark chocolate. Centro Chef Scott Edmunds has offered this recipe to pair with it:
Cheese Ravioli with Meat Sauce
- • 1 tablespoon olive oil
- • 1 medium onion, chopped
- • 3/4 pound extra-lean ground beef
- • 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- • 1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes
- • 1 16-ounce can tomato purée
- • 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- • 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- • 1/8 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- • Salt and pepper
- • 3/4 pound purchased cheese ravioli
- • Freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add ground beef and garlic and sauté until meat is no longer pink, breaking up with fork, about 5 minutes.
Puree tomatoes with juices in processor. Add to saucepan. Add canned tomato puree, herbs and dried crushed red pepper. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season sauce with salt and pepper.
Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite. Drain well. Place pasta in large bowl. Add enough sauce to coat; stir. Serve, passing cheese separately.