Our 30 Days of Local Wine campaign takes place throughout the entire month of December. Each day we’ll be featuring a different local wine from several of the Essex Pelee Island Coast wineries along with recipes for food, cocktails (yes, wine cocktails), desserts, party tips and more. Click here for the complete list of 30 wines.
Also, we want to see how you enjoy your local wine. We encourage you to use the #30DLW hashtag on Instagram to win prizes like a day for 2 on a tandem bicycle on our award winning Wine Trail Ride Cycling Tours. Click here for more details on the 30 Days of Local Wine Contest.
Oxley Estate Winery loves their Riesling, and they know you will too! This unique fruity blend thrives best in our Canadian climate, displaying the uniqueness of our landscape in Windsor-Essex.
This Reisling is appealing to the eye, with its pretty colour of pale straw, and enchanting on the nose, with delicate aromas of white flowers, peaches and a hint of almond. Enjoy the juice-charged palate of grapefruit, lemon and apple joined with a structured mineral backbone. The finish is long, dry, clean and is perfectly paired with any one of your favourite cheeses.
Oxley recommends music with their wines to create the perfect ambience, so light some candles, turn on the Christmas lights and relax while listening to the song “Drift Away” by Dobie Gray.
Chef Aaron Lynn runs the kitchen at Oxley Estate Winery so, naturally, we thought it’d be best to pair a dish with this Riesling. He opted for a Chicken Liver Parfait that had a lot of eggs, a lot of butter and a whole lot of tasty goodness.
Chicken Liver Parfait
(Makes 8 ramekins)
- 1 lb chicken livers, cleaned
- 4 whole eggs
- 1lbs. of butter, melted/foie fat
- 2 shallots, minced
- 100ml. Madeira
- 100 ml. port
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 5g. pink salt
- 12g salt
- 30ml truffle oil
- In a sauce pot, combine Madeira, Port, shallots and fresh thyme and bay. Reduce until thick and syrupy. Set aside to cool. Remove the thyme bundle squeezing out any reduced wine.
- Bring cleaned liver, eggs and melted butter to room temperature.
- Combine livers, shallots and eggs and purée in a blender. Adding the melted butter slowly to emulsify to a smooth velvety consistency. Finish with a drizzle of truffle oil. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pass mixture through a fine sieve and pour into ramekins.
- Place the ramekins in a warm water bath leaving the water half way up the side of the ramekins.
- Cook in a 325˚F oven until the internal temperature is 160˚F when tested with a meat thermometer.
- Let the parfait cool overnight in the fridge.
- Pour just enough melted butter on top to seal. Add garnish of your choice.