October is a busy time of year when it comes to food and drink. The wineries are making their wines, the farmers and harvesting their crops and restaurants are making use of the bounty. Here is a listing of some great events happening this October throughout Windsor-Essex:
Drinks of Walkerville Walking Tour
On Saturday, October 5, 2013, WindsorEats embarks on yet another of our popular Drinks of Walkerville walking tours.
A fan favourite, this tour would definitely be one of Don Draper’s favourites. Enjoy the drinks and stories that make Old Walkerville known across the world, including a stop at the world famous Canadian Club Heritage Centre and Canadian Club Whisky.
You’ll receive a unique experience and some extras that you won’t be able to have on your own.
Guests will enjoy:
- A tasting and tour of the world famous Canadian Club Heritage Centre and Canadian Club Whisky.
- Jaunt through historic Old Walkerville learning about its architecture as well as some well known and not so well known tales associated with the neighbourhood.
- Be brought through the history and brewing process of Walkerville Brewery while enjoying some brews.
- Learn about the graffiti art behind The Willistead Restaurant before stopping in for a flight of drinks.
- When: The Drinks of Walkerville walking tours take place on the first Saturday of each month.
- Where: The starting point is the parking lot directly across the street from the Canadian Club Brand Centre, 2072 Riverside Drive East, Windsor, ON.
- Age Restriction: Must be 19+ to participate in the tour.
- Duration: Approximately 3.5 hours
- How Much: $45 per person. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Accessibility? Unfortunately, some portions of the tour are not handicap accessible.
- 2010 Zweigelt $4 off- $9.95/bottle
- 2010 Chambourcin $4 off- $8.95/bottle
Starting October 8, 2013, Rino’s Kitchen will be featuring a new retail corner in the restaurant. Patrons can purchase soups, sauces, marinades, coffee beans and more, all fresh and prepared in house.
Final Day of the Downtown Windsor Farmers Market
A true sign that summer is over and winter is approaching. October 12, 2013 marks the final day of the Downtown Windsor Farmers Market season. Be sure to visit and stock up for Thanksgiving or to fill your freezer.
Wine Trail Ride Cycling Tour
Come out and enjoy the final ride of the 2013 Wine Trail Ride season on Saturday, October 12.
The Wine Trail Rides, hosted by food and drink companion WindsorEats, are a great way to explore Essex County’s wine region. Cycle through our beautiful region and explore the sites, sounds and tastes of Ontario’s other wine route!
Each Wine Trail Ride includes tastings, tours, a guide, support vehicle and a long table dinner made with local foods produced in the region.
Named the Best Culinary Tourism Experience in Ontario in 2009 and the Innovator of the Year for the Canadian tourism industry in 2010.
- Enjoy tastings and/or tours at up to 3 wineries in the Essex Pelee Island Coast.
- Enjoy a long table dinner at the end of the ride made completely from local products.
- Enjoy a scenic cycle along county roads. Previous rides have passed through apple orchards, equestrian farms, by windmill farms and more.
- Have a support vehicle following close behind to place all their purchases in.
- Have an experience cycle guide ride along with the group.
- Where: As the routes and wineries vary from ride to ride, detailed information will be emailed to you upon purchase.
- Age Restriction: Must be 19+ to participate in the tour.
- Duration: Approximately 5 hours
- How Much: $60 per person. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Bike Rentals: Single and tandem bikes can be rented in advance at the time of purchase.
- Weather: We ride rain or shine! We’re tough like that.
For more information, visit: www.winetrailride.ca
A Walk Through Milan at Mezzo Ristorante
Visit Mezzo Ristorante on October 16, 2013 for A Walk Through Milan. The event includes a 3 course dinner at 7pm while you enjoy the latest fashions brought to you by Ewa from B.Vogue Boutique. All the proceeds from this event will be donated to Breast Cancer Research.
Menu for the evening is as follows:
- Mezzo Bruschetta: crostini topped with roasted sweet peppers, marinated tomatoes, goat cheese and caramelized onions
- Spinach Salad: baby spinach leaves tossed with candied almonds, blue cheese and vanilla poached bosc pears in a raspberry ginger vinaigrette
- Ravioli: home made ravioli stuffed with roasted butternut squash and mutzu apple in a bacon, sun-dried tomato cream sauce
Course Third: (guests will choose one of the following)
- Stuffed Salmon: shrimp and crab stuffed salmon filet accompanied with a limoncello saffron cream sauce
- Veal Saltimbocca: pan seared Provimi veal topped with prosciutto and fontina cheese
- Pollo Mezzo: bacon wrapped chicken breast stuffed with oven dried cranberries, wild mushrooms and goat cheese
General Admission tickets are $25 in advance. If capacity is not met, tickets will be available for $30 at the door.
Local and craft brewers from across the province will participate in a festival that will celebrate a much loved libation. Rather than holding the event in a plaza, we are opting for a good ol’ fashion neighbourhood party.
The Windsor Craft Beer Festival is hosted by WindsorEats and will take place across the street from the recently opened Walkerville Brewery at the intersection of Argyle Rd. and Wyandotte St. E. The event is about local culture, the resurgence of Walkerville Brewery and the burgeoning craft beer movement happening across the province. There will be entertainment, craft beers from across the province, local eats and throughout the day we’ll have an ode to the brew. It’s going to be awesome!
While Hiram Walker is famous for distilling whiskey, many don’t know he also brewed beer from 1885-1956. Walker purchased the most modern brewing equipment of the day and shipped hops from the U.S. and his own farms in Essex County. Rich in history and character, there is no better neighbourhood than Old Walkerville to have a beer festival.
The event will use the history of Walkerville and its role in brewing to help in developing a festival that will be a uniquely Walkervillian experience. We want a celebratory atmosphere, a sense of camaraderie among participants. It will be a lively event with character.
Windsor Craft Beer Festival will add to the region’s festivals and add to establishing Windsor-Essex as a culinary destination and add to the vibrancy of an already great neighbourhood. Did we mention there’s beer?
Must be 19 and over to attend.
Tickets can be purchased at: www.windsorbeerfestival.com
Bikes & Beers Cycling Tour
So you want to go to the Windsor Craft Beer Festival but still don’t think it’s enough beer for you? Then make it a true Day of Beer by enjoying a Bikes & Beers Cycling Tour before the festival starts.
Join us on October 19, 2013 as we cycle our way through the city, stop at local restaurants and breweries and sample some suds and grub on the Bikes & Beers Cycling Tour. Hosted by WindsorEats, participants will be visiting at least 3 establishments in Windsor, Ontario.
As part of the October 19 ride, we’ll also be visiting the Windsor Craft Beer Festival to sample craft breweries from across the province!
Join us on October 19, 2013 as we cycle our way through the city, stop at local restaurants and breweries and sample some suds and grub.
The Willistead to Host Official Windsor Craft Beer Festival Pre Party and After Party
Come early for the Windsor Craft Beer Festival or join in after you leave. The Willistead Restaurant, located just around the corner from the festival site, will be joining in the festivities on October 18-19. More details will be released soon, but the restaurant will be open late to welcome all festival goers.
Harvest Dinner in the Vineyard at Oxley Estate Winery
October 19, 2013, visit Oxley Estate Winery and enjoy a beautiful four course dinner served in their vineyard, under the light of the Full Hunter’s Moon. Reservation only. To contact, please visit: Oxley Estate Winery
Grapes of Wrath at Sprucewood Shores Estate Winery
Challenge yourself on October 26, 2013!
Grab your friends, create a team, or tackle this challenge all on your own! Whether its for bragging rights, fitness or just fun in the mud, this 5K Obstacle Run at Sprucewood Shores Estate Winery is for you!
Spoiler Alert: There will be sweat, mud and a lot of laughs!
The Canadian Cancer Society Windsor-Essex proudly presents the 1st annual Grapes of Wrath – 5K Obstacle Run to raise funds to fight cancer!
Bored with your traditional runs? Looking for something new and fun? Not scared of a little (or a lot) of mud? This exciting new event will be exhilarating, challenging and will put those cookie-cutter races to shame.
This 5K Obstacle Run demands resilience to trudge through mud, sand and maybe even stomp some grapes. Splash through ditches and ponds and muster up your courage to overcome demanding obstacles, all in the name of a good cause and great health. Designed by experienced hard-core runners, this run challenges you and tests your strength, stamina, mental toughness and your ability to have fun in the face of challenges.
Grapes of Wrath is all about the element of surprise. We want to challenge and engage you so preparation for the unknown is a must.