Tonight on CTV Windsor with Arms Bumanlag, we showcased popular restaurant, Motor Burger. In anticipation of the Windsor Craft Beer Festival next week, chef Jay Souilliere made a great beer pairing that actually includes some of their Motor Craft Ales Jalopy, a smoked jalapeno beer.
Motor Burger ‘Jalopy’ Cheese Soup
- ½ up chopped pancetta or smoked pork belly (bacon)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large leek, trimmed, rinsed, julienned
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped into small ¼ dice
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped into small ¼ dice
- 1 tbsp of chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup organic unbleached flour
- 15 ounces of Motor Craft Ales ‘Jalopy’ (or any dark ale)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy 35% cream
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 cup grated old cheddar
- Add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
In a medium pot, render pancetta or bacon till crispy, reserve drippings, over medium-high heat sauté the onions until starting to turn golden. Add butter, then celery, garlic and carrot and continue to sauté for a few minutes more.
Sprinkle flour over and stir to coat the veggies. Add the beer, mix well, then stock and cream while continually mixing until well incorporated. Simmer until the soup has thickened. After 6-7 minutes, add grated Gruyère and Cheddar.
Puree well with immersion blender (strain with sieve to refine texture) Season with S + P to taste., Top with crispy pancetta and crumbled blue cheese. Serve.
Takes about 15-20 minutes total, serves 4-5 people.