Our final wine of 2011’s 30 days of Local Wine, the 2010 Lighthouse Chardonnay Pelee Island VQA from Pelee Island Winery makes a wonderful accompaniment to cheeses, seafood and white meats. Whatever you serve this wine with should be as delicious and full of wonderful light flavours as the Chardonnay itself.
Their viticulturalist has specially selected his most prized grapes for this wine. Being a Pelee Island VQA means this wine was made from grapes solely from Pelee Island itself. Only the highest quality, “free run” juice – that which flows prior to any pressing – is fermented and aged in oak barrels
Chef Anthony Del Brocco of the Mettawas Station in Kingsville created this fantastic dish which works well with the wine:
Honey Mustard Shrimp and Scallops Skewers
What You Need: for 16 skewers
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 24 sea scallops
- 12 jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
What You Do:
- In small bowl stir together honey, vinegar, mustard, oil, salt, and pepper.
- Using short wooden skewers, alternate two scallops with one shrimp on each skewer. Repeat with remaining shrimp and scallops.
- Lightly brush grill with oil and heat over moderate heat until just beginning to smoke.
- Grill skewers turning with tongs or spatula until shrimp are firm and pink and scallops are just cooked through.
- Transfer to serving platter and brush with honey mustard mixture. Serve immediately.