There’s a reason Windsor, Ontario, is called Whiskytown Canada.
Whiskies from Canada’s southernmost city won big at the 2021 Canadian Whisky Awards, bringing home 11 awards and 30 medals, cementing Windsor as the place to be if you’re a whisky lover.
The Distillery of the Year award went to Hiram Walkers & Sons Ltd., which won the award for the fourth year in a row.
Also, it became official that Canada’s oldest whisky is also its best. Nine independent whisky experts named 43-year-old Canadian Club Chronicles as Canadian Whisky of the Year at the eleventh annual Canadian Whisky Awards. Canadian Club 43 also took top honours as Connoisseur Whisky of the Year.
“This is truly a remarkable whisky, so deserving of the accolade,” said Davin de Kergommeaux, head judge and founder of the awards. “Canadian Club has been shortlisted for best whisky in past years, and for 2021, the judges awarded Canadian Club 43-year-old the highest overall score among over 130 Canadian whiskies entered in the competition.”
Other major Windsor-made winners include J. P. Wiser’s Triple Barrel Rye, which is a US exclusive, took home Sippin’ Whisky of the Year in the export-only category, while Gibson’s Finest Bold was named Sippin’ Whisky of the Year for the Canadian market.
J.P. Wiser’s 22-Year-Old Port Cask Finished claimed Cask Strength Whisky of the year, and the sensational Lot No. 40 Dark Oak was named Best New Whisky.
Local whisky maker, Kavi Reserve also took home a bronze medal for their Kavi Reserve Coffee Blend Canadian Whisky.
The annual Canadian Whisky Awards recognize the very best Canadian whiskies, and are intended to encourage distillers to maintain the highest quality standards. To qualify, each whisky must be distilled and matured in Canada.
An independent panel of whisky experts selects the winners after tasting each whisky blind. In keeping with current trends in whisky connoisseurship, the jury includes both women and men tasters, who have made significant contributions to understanding Canadian whisky.
Here is a full list of the awards and medals won by Windsor-made whiskies:
- 2021 CANADIAN WHISKY OF THE YEAR IS CANADIAN CLUB 43-YEAR-OLD CHRONICLES – THE SPEAKEASY
- Connoisseur Whisky of the Year Domestic Market – Canadian Club 43-Year-Old Chronicles – The Speakeasy
- Best Blended Whisky – Canadian Club 43-Year-Old Chronicles – The Speakeasy
- Blender of the Year – Canadian Club Blending Team
- Best Blended Whisky Highly Commended – J.P. Wiser’s 22-Year-Old Cask Strength Port Cask Finished
- Sippin’ Whisky of the Year Domestic – Gibson’s Finest Bold
- Sippin’ Whisky of the Year Export – Wiser’s Triple Barrel Rye (US)
- Flavoured Whisky – J. P. Wiser’s Manhattan
- Best Cask Strength Whisky – J.P. Wiser’s 22 Year Old Cask Strength Port Cask Finished
- Award of Excellence – Line Extension – Lot No. 40 Dark Oak
- Distillery of the Year – Hiram Walker & Sons
- CANADIAN CLUB CHRONICLES 43-Year-Old
- GIBSON’S FINEST BOLD 8-YEAR-OLD WHISKY
- J P WISER’S OLD FASHIONED
- J P WISER’S ALUMNI SERIES MARK MESSIER
- J P WISER’S ALUMNI SERIES YVAN COURNOYER
- J P WISER’S 22-YEAR-OLD CASK STRENGTH PORT CASK FINISHED
- J P WISER’S 23-YEAR-OLD CASK STRENGTH
- LOT 40 DARK OAK
- CANADIAN CLUB 100% RYE
- CANADIAN CLUB CLASSIC 12-YEAR-OLD
- GIBSON’S FINEST RARE CANADIAN WHISKY
- J P WISER’S SEVEN REBELS CANADIAN WHISKY
- J P WISER’S WHEATFIELD GOLD WHISKY
- J P WISER’S 18-YEAR-OLD
- J P WISER’S DELUXE
- J P WISERS ALUMNI SERIES DAVE KEON
- J P WISER’S TRIPLE BARREL RYE
- LOT 40
- PIKE CREEK 10-YEAR-OLD RUM BARREL FINISHED
- PIKE CREEK 15-YEAR-OLD CABERNET SAUVIGNON FINISH
- CANADIAN CLUB 1858
- GIBSON’S FINEST STERLING
- GIBSON’S FINEST VENERABLE 18-YEAR-OLD
- GOODERHAM AND WORTS
- J P WISER’S 15-YEAR-OLD
- J P WISER’S TRIPLE BARREL RYE WHISKY USA
- J P WISER’S SPECIAL BLEND WHISKY
- J P WISERS VANILLA WHISKY
- J P WISERS APPLE WHISKY
- KAVI RESERVE COFFEE BLEND CANADIAN WHISKY