In anticipation for the Italian Village festival happening this weekend (June 19-21, 2015) along Windsor’s Via Italia, Chef Pat Lizzi of Mezzo Ristorante & Lounge showed us how to make a pasta dish that’s very Italiano: Fettuccine Nero.
The fettuccine noodles in this dish are actually made with squid ink, making them dark, almost black in colour. Chef Pat combined them with shrimp, scallops, mussels and calamari in a fresh tomato and white wine sauce and voila! You have Mezzo’s Fettuccine Nero.
- 12 mussels
- 16 bay scallops
- 12 medium size shrimp
- 3 tubes of calamari
- 400 grams black squid ink fresh fettuccine pasta
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- salt & pepper
- 1/8 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of chopped basil
- 1/4 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- sauté mussels with half of the olive oil. add shrimp, calamari, and scallops.
- add remainder of olive oil cook until shrimp are slightly pink.
- add garlic and white wine.
- cook for 2 minutes add fresh Roma tomatoes and tomato sauce. salt pepper to taste.
- cook fresh squid ink noodles in 4 cups of water and a tea spoon of salt . cook for 4 minutes.
- strain add pasta to sauce toss lightly. taste for seasoning and serve