There’s no better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo than eating the food of the Mexican culture.
The Walkerville Tavern came into the CTV Windsor studio and showed WindsorEats and Arms Bumanlag a tasty burrito recipe that will leave your tummy and taste buds happy.
Spicy Wet Burrito
- 3 Chicken Hind Quarters (or 6 Legs / Thighs)
- 3 cups Navy Beans
- 2 cups Sticky Rice, well rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
- 4-6 12″ Flour Tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Lettuce
- 1 sm. can diced Tomatoes, drained
- 4 large Carrots, peeled & cut in half length wise
- 1 large Spanish Onion, diced
- 500 mL favourite Mexican beer
- 8 cloves Garlic, diced
- 2/3 cup Cilantro, diced
- 1/2 cup Lard or Bacon Fat
- 1/2 cup Cumin
- 3 tbsp. Coriander powder
- 1/2 cup Smoked Chili Powder
- 1/4 cup favourite hot sauce (to your taste in spice)
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Pepper
- Sour Cream
- favourite Salsa
Directions for Chicken
- Coat chicken liberally in half the cumin, half the smoked chili powder, half the salt and half the pepper.
- Set oven to 300°F
- In roasting pan – arrange a ‘bed’ of carrots, pour over diced tomatoes.
- Put chicken on top of ‘bed’ and roast in oven for 3 hours.
- Allow to cool, debone chicken, remove skin. Discard vegetables and bones or save for stock.
Directions for Beans
- Melt lard or bacon fat in medium saucepan, sweat diced onions and half of the diced garlic at medium heat.
- Add beans and toss until evenly coated.
- Deglaze with beer.
- Add diced cilantro, rest of beer, 1/2 tbsp. of salt and pepper.
- Cover with liquid to the top of the beans by adding water. Reduce to low heat, simmer for 4 hours, adding a little water as necessary, every hour or so.
Directions for the Mexican Rice
- Take 3 cups of water, whisk in remaining cumin, smoked chili powder, coriander powder, diced garlic, tomato paste and a pinch of salt and pepper, any desired hot sauce.
- In a saucepan place rinsed rice and liquid mixture, stir well.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a minimum and cook covered for 14-17 min.
- Stir mixture at halfway point to prevent sticking, cover quickly.
- Remove from heat, allow to rest.
Directions for the Burrito
- Lay out a tortilla, and place portions of chicken, beans, rice and cheeses to desired thickness (don’t overstuff).
- Fold two ends of the tortilla in, and carefully roll tight.
- With a little bacon fat, lard or oil fry both sides of the tortilla golden brown.
- Top with shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa, and sour cream.