Sometimes we get a little too excited about dining out and spend a wee bit more than we’ve budgeted for. It’s times like these that we go on a search for recipes that reduce the pain on the wallet, but, increase the flavour in your mouth and happiness in your belly.
Chef Nav Sehmbi of Atmosphere Fine Foods showed us this Rockstar Rice Bowl dish which will have your wallet and taste buds thanking you.
Atmospheres Rockstar Rice Bowl
- 2 cups of basmati rice ( or any rice you would prefer )
- 1 red bell pepper diced small
- 1 medium onion diced small
- 2 stalks of celery diced small
- 1 tbsp of ginger chopped fine
- 1 tbsp of garlic chopped fine
- 1 stalk of lemongrass chopped fine
- ¼ cup of Atmospheres Kung Fu BBQ sauce
- ¼ tsp of Asian five spice
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Toppings and garnish
- Polynesian Sausage
- Fresh cucumber seeded and cut into 2 inch matchsticks ( optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- Green onions
- Fresh bean sprouts,
- Pickled Daikon radish and carrot
- Sunnyside up egg or grilled pineapple
- Sambal olek (Vietnamese hot chili paste ) or any other hot sauce if you want it spicy
- Cook sausages on top rack of the BBQ at medium heat or at 450 degrees in the oven for about 17 minutes.
- Wrap in foil and let it rest .
- Rinse basmati rice in a bowl with water using hands. Do this about 3 times to get rid of extra starch.
- Boil rice in water ( follow package instructions) and a tsp of oil. You can do this a day in advance if you like. If made overnight, store in fridge. If made day of let it cool down for at least an hour.
- Take a wok or large deep frying pan and add canola oil and set on high heat.
- Add onions, celery and bell peppers and stirfry for about 3 min.
- Add the ginger, garlic, lemongrass , five spice, salt and pepper and stirfry for another minute.
- Add the rice, mix thoroughly and add the Kung Fu BBQ sauce and mix again.
- Turn the heat off but leave the wok on the stove and stir it for another minute. Take it off the heat.
- Slice sausages.
- Put rice in a large bowl if sharing or in smaller bowls for individual portions and arrange the toppings and garnish around the bowl covering the rice.
- When served bring more garnish and toppings to the table for your guests.
- Break the egg yolk, mix all ingredients thoroughly and enjoy.
- Substitute the egg with grilled pineapple if you like.