Last week on our Arms Eats segment with Arms Bumanlag on CTV Windsor, we showed you a very simple, quick recipe that you could easily make to spruce up a ham sandwich. This week, we’re kicking up the challenge a notch.
We had Santos Ortiz from Mi Casita show us how to make a popular, traditional Latin dish: Chile Relleno.
He brought us step by step through the process so everyone can learn how to make this tasty treat from scratch. Keep in mind, Chile Rellenos are normally made in numbers so the recipe will make approximately 15 – 18 peppers. Also, Santos wouldn’t reveal his secret sauce recipe which makes the Mi Casita Chile Rellenos so special (and oh my how special it was! Mmm mm!). We guess you’ll have to head to the restaurant to try it yourself.
- 5 lbs Pork Butt
- 2 Red onion
- 10 Garlic cloves
- 2 tea spoons Salt
- 1 finely chopped green pepper
- 1 finely chopped red pepper
- 1 finely cut red onion
- 3 finely cut garlic cloves
- Canola oil
- Poblano peppers
- All purpose flour
- Mi Casita sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Vegetable oil
1. Braise Pork Butt with Onions Garlic and salt for 4 – 6hrs until tender.
2. Once cooked, finely chop the pork.
3. Mix chopped pork with chopped green peppers, chopped red peppers, cut up onions, and cut up garlic and cook it in a pan with canola oil for a few minutes.
4. Grill and char pepper, then peel the skin, make a small slit and remove the seeds from the inside of the pepper
5. Stuff the poblano pepper with the cooked pork
6. Prepare the batter by separating the egg yolk from the egg white and place egg white in a large container
8. Beat the egg white with an electric beater until the white fluffs up
9. Place flour in a separate dish and roll the stuffed poblano pepper into the flour
10. Then dip pepper into the egg batter fluff until completely covered
11. Fry stuffed poblano pepper in a pan with canola oil and cook until egg batter is a golden crisp
12. Add Mi Casita sauce and mozzarella cheese to the pepper and cook until cheese is melted
13. Serve Chile Relleno. Buen provecho!!