Tonight on CTV Windsor, we brought chef Jim Renaud of South Detroit to warm us up with a nice hearty meal. Jim taught Arms Bumanlag and our very own Adriano Ciotoli how to cook up some good Clam Chowder. It’s an easy recipe that requires 15 minutes of prep and 30 minutes of cooking time:
South Detroit Clam Chowder
- 4 slices bacon, diced,optional
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce optional
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 (10 ounce) cans baby clams or surf clams
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped garlic
- 4 tablespoons flour
- Add butter to large stock pot.
- Place diced bacon( optional) in large stock pot over medium-high heat.
- Cook until almost crisp; add onions, and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and add flour to form paste.
- Cook uncovered for 5 minutes, add milk and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Drain clams, reserving clam liquid; stir clams and 1/2 of the clam liquid into the soup.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Do not allow to boil.
- Add fish sauce for additional flavours