Our final featured wine before Christmas, the Pelee Island Winery 2010 Alvar Pinot Noir’s flavours are reminiscent of sweet red berries, plums, tomatoes and cherries.
It is well-suited to pair with poultry, beef, fish, ham, lamb and pork. This wine will play well with creamy sauces, spicy seasonings and may just be one of the world’s most versatile food wines.
This wine has a (0) sugar code and 13% alcohol content.
Mettawas Station sous chef Bridgette Taylor thought the perfect match for this lovely red would be the following recipe she whipped up:
Peppery Spaghetti Carbonara
for 4 servings
What You Need:
- 6 slices Pancetta or other dry cured bacon cut into ribbons
- 500 g spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2/3 cup of 35% cream
- 1/2 tablespoon of chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano plus additional for serving
- 1 to 2 tablespoons parsley
- 2 large egg
What You Do:
- Cook spaghetti in a 4-quart saucepan of salted boiling water until al dente. While pasta is cooking, in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat the olive oil and add garlic and pancetta and fry until crisp.
- Add the 35% cream and bring to simmer.
- Transfer spaghetti with tongs to the skillet of simmering cream and reduce heat.
- Season with desired amount of black pepper, tossing the noodles to coat.
- In a small bowl mix the eggs and Parmigiano-Reggiano and add to the noodles and remove from heat.
- Toss the pasta until all the egg mixture is incorporated and sauce is thickened.
- Place in serving bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley and cheese.