Being the son of Italian parents, Nutella seems to have been around me since birth. I love the stuff. Can’t get enough of it. I wish I could live off Nutella alone. Imagine my surprise when during this year’s edition of our neighbourhood holiday walkabout I realized not everyone has heard of this heaven sent that fills me up with chocolate and hazelnut goodness.
After being told by Pina, on numerous occasions, that my recipe was going to be a failure, I am proud to say they were the hit of the party. Consider yourself lucky I am willing to share it.
Nutella French Toast
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate milk
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 ripe but firm bananas, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- cup Nutella
- 12 bread, (1/2 inch thick), such as brioche
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- cup milk chocolate shavings
- Powered sugar for dusting
Whisk together eggs, chocolate milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, in a medium bowl, and set aside. Lay out 6 slices of bread on work surface. Top each slice with Nutella and sliced bananas. Top with remaining bread slices; press gently to seal the sandwiches.
Quickly dip sandwiches into batter for a couple seconds. Carefully turn sandwiches over and repeat on other side.
Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry half of the French toast until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve with maple syrup and powered sugar.