Our 30 Days of Local Wine campaign takes place throughout the entire month of December. Each day we’ll be featuring a different local wine from several of the Essex Pelee Island Coast wineries along with recipes for food, cocktails (yes, wine cocktails), desserts, party tips and more. Click here for the complete list of 30 wines.
Also, we want to see how you enjoy your local wine. We encourage you to use the #30DLW hashtag on Instagram to win prizes like a day for 2 on a tandem bicycle on our award winning Wine Trail Ride Cycling Tours. Click here for more details on the 30 Days of Local Wine Contest.
We’re starting off the 2015 edition of the 30 Days of Local Wine with a great red.
A blend of five grape varietals (Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Baco Noir and Marechal Foch), the Talon Red from Cooper’s Hawk Vineyards is a great gift for anyone with an adventurous palate.
Those with a good nose will be able to pick up hints of raspberry, cocoa, coffee, cigar box, black licorice, sandalwood, cinnamon, black cherry and elderflower. Your palate should be able to pick up blackberry, cherry nibs, dark chocolate, nutmeg, cloves, cassis and soft leather.
This medium-bodied red is very versatile, pairing perfectly with lamb or virtually anything else!
To prove this to us, chef Mike Boucher of The Vines, located inside Cooper’s Hawk Vineyard, put together a great beef dish with short ribs from The Butcher of Kingsville. Not only is the dish a great match for the wine, the demi glace also includes the Talon Red as an ingredient.
Beef Short Ribs
- Locally sourced beef short ribs from The Butcher of Kingsville
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- Vegetable stock
- Coca Cola
- Season the ribs liberally with salt and pepper
- In a pan over high heat sear the ribs on all sides until good brown colour is achieved and remove from the pan.
- With the pan over medium heat, deglaze w talon red and scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release the bits of rib stuck to it
- In another heat proof vessel add the onion, the pan drippings, lay the ribs on top of the onions fat side up.
- Add the vegetable stock and coca cola until it covers just the bone of the ribs in a ratio of two parts stock to one part cola
- Wrap tightly with foil and braise in a 325F oven until the ribs are fork tender (approx. 90 min)
Confit Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 1 lb mini red potatoes
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- enough vegetable oil to cover
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the potatoes and garlic in a heat proof vessel, cover with oil, wrap tightly with tin foil and cook in a 450F oven until the garlic is roasted and the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove from oven, strain off the oil, mash the potatoes and garlic together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Talon Red Demi Glace
- Remove the ribs from the brazier
- Strain the onions from the liquid. with the liquid in a pot over medium heat add an equal amount of Talon red wine from Cooper’s Hawk Vineyards and allow to simmer until reduced by half
To serve the meal, place the potatoes in a bowl, add roasted seasonal vegetables around the potatoes. Place the short rib on the potatoes pour 1/4 cup of demi glace over the rib and garnish with crispy enoki mushroom.