Our 30 Days of Local Wine campaign takes place throughout the entire month of December. Each day we’ll be featuring a different local wine from several of the Essex Pelee Island Coast wineries along with recipes for food, cocktails (yes, wine cocktails), desserts, party tips and more. Click here for the complete list of 30 wines.
Also, we want to see how you enjoy your local wine. We encourage you to use the #30DLW hashtag on Instagram to win prizes like a day for 2 on a tandem bicycle on our award winning Wine Trail Ride Cycling Tours. Click here for more details on the 30 Days of Local Wine Contest.
Frisky is the perfect name for this refreshing fruity wine from Black Bear Farms & Estate Winery.
Frisky provides a unique blend of red raspberries, black currants, gooseberries, elderberry and black berries. It’s a wine which Black Bear Farms says they may never be able to duplicate because of it’s complexities, so don’t miss out on this delicious wine that’s can be enjoyed anytime.
We ventured over to Sweet Revenge Bake Shop and handed a bottle to baker extraordinaire, Saskia Scott, and gave her free reign as to what creation she could come up with using Frisky. She created a masterpiece of a piece. Yes, you heard right. She made a wine pie and now you can, too.
Warning: only make this over the holidays if you want to ensure your guests never leave. They’ll be waiting for more.
Frisky Wine Pie
- Pie shell recipe of your choice or Store bought crust.
- 3 pears
- 3 apples- we like granny smith for a tangy filling, golden delicious work well for a sweeter filling.
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 ½ -2 cups of Black Bears Frisky fruit wine
- 2-3 tablespoons of corn starch, depending on how thick you like your filling.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¾ cup oats
- 1 cup flour
Combine all crumb ingredients in a mixer and mix until pea size.
- Bake your pie crust until it’s slightly golden, but not quite fully browned.
- Make crumb topping.
- Peel and slice all apples and pears.
- Add sliced fruit to a medium sized pot with the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and wine.
- Stir corn starch with enough water to make a smooth, lump free mix; set aside.
- Cook on medium heat until wine and fruit come to a boil.
- Add corn starch mix, continue to stir. Make sure your filling comes back to a boil for at least one minute.
- Add hot filling to your par baked crust immediately.
- Sprinkle crumble topping evenly over your filling.
- Bake @350 degrees until crumble is golden brown.
- Top with melted chocolate or caramel and serve your delicious Frisky Wine Pie!