We’re going to let you in on a little secret.
After spilling his blood, sweat and tears perfecting this sandwich, Sandro Giustini of the Chatham Street Deli joined us on CTV Windsor with Arms Bumanlag and shared his secrets for making the deli’s insanely tasty and popular Chicago-Style Italian Beef Sandwich.
Chicago-Style Italian Beef
- 13lb Sirloin tip roast
- 5 large Spanish onion
- 2 whole heads garlic
- 8 tbsp. house blend Italian seasoning
- 16 cups beef stock
- 8 cups water
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- Rub sirloin tip with generous amount of house blend Italian seasoning and drizzle with olive oil. Let sit and marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- Rough chop onions and garlic into large roasting pan and sprinkle with house blend Italian seasoning and add the 5 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add marinated Sirloin tip to large roasting pan and sear on high until browned.
- Add the beef stock and water. Place in preheated 350* F oven until internal temperature of 130-140 F is reached.
- Remove sirloin from roasting pan, place in large bowl and put in refrigerator for 2 hours. strain remaining liquid into large stock pot and simmer on low.
- Slice Sirloin paper thin and place back into the cooking liquids (au jus) until fully cooked.
- Layer beef onto desired bun, add Chicago style giardiniera, top with au jus and enjoy!