The Essex Pelee Island Coast wineries just one-upped themselves this year.
Six local wineries brought home a total of 31 medals from the Finger Lakes International Wine Competition this past week, suprassing their previous best total of 29 set in 2014.
“I think that this underscores the level of quality and the increase of quality that we grow and make here in Essex County,” says Tom O’Brien, owner of Cooper’s Hawk Vineyard, which took home the only gold for the region. “To get recognized internationally is a huge feather in a cap, especially because it’s both our reds and our whites that showed well.”
With over 3708 wines entered from 27 countries, including all 50 American states and 6 Canadian provinces, the local wineries have reason to hold their heads high.
“With ten new medals to start the year, 2015 is looking like a nice year already,” said Michelle Rondelez, co-owner of Black Bear Farms & Estate Winery along with her brother, William.
Here is a list of some of the medals won:
- Silver: Goldilocks in the Fruit Blend category, 60% Golden Raspberry 20% Strawberry 10% Red Gooseberry 10% Green Gooseberry
- Silver: Raspberry & Blueberry Blend in the Fruit Blend category, 50% Red Raspberry 25% Blueberry 25% Black Raspberry
- Bronze: 2009 Bear’s Reserve in the Raspberry category, 100% Black Raspberry
- Bronze: 2010 Black Currant in the Other Fruit Varieties category, 100% Black Currant
- Bronze: 2011 Mama’s Special Delight in the Blueberry category, 100% Blueberry
- Bronze: 2011 Purple Raspberry in the Raspberry category, 100% Purple Raspberry
- Bronze: Fruit Blend Black Bear Farms of Ontario Estate Winery Bear’s Special Blend 68% Red Raspberry 12% Pear 10% Black Currant 10% Blueberry
- Bronze: Fruit Blend Black Bear Farms of Ontario Estate Winery Frisky 40% Red Raspberry 20% Black Currant 10% Gooseberry 10% Elderberry 20% Black Raspberry
- Bronze: Fruit Blend Black Bear Farms of Ontario Estate Winery Red Raspberry & Purple Plum 90% Red Raspberry 10 % Purple Plum
- Bronze: Fruit Blend Black Bear Farms of Ontario Estate Winery Strawberry & Muskmelon 55% Strawberry 45% Muskmelon
- Silver: 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon in the Cabernet Sauvignon category, 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Bronze: 2010 CREW Meritage in the Meritage category, 43% Merlot 30% Cabernet Sauvignon 27% Cabernet Franc
- Bronze: 2013 CREW Riesling in the Riesling category, 100% Riesling
- Bronze: 2013 CREW White in the White Blend – Vinifera + Non-vinifera category, 45% Chardonnay 24% Riesling 22% Vidal 9% Gewurztraminer
- Gold: 2013 Talon White in the White Blend – Vinifera category, Auxerrois Riesling Gewurztraminer Viognier Sauvignon
- Bronze: 2013 Riesling in the Riesling category, 100% Riesling
- Bronze: 2013 Rose in the Sweet Rose category, Cabernet Franc Merlot
- Silver: 2012 Vidal in the Vidal Blanc category, 100% Vidal Blanc
- Bronze: 2008 Baco Noir Reserve in the Baco Noir category, 100% Baco Noir
- Bronze: 2008 Cabernet Ice in the Icewine category, 100% Cabernet Franc
- Silver: 2013 Sauvignon Blanc in the Sauvignon Blanc category, 100% Sauvignon Blanc
- Bronze: 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon in the Cabernet Sauvignon category, 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Bronze: 2013 Gewurztraminer in the Gewurztraminer category, 100% Gewurztraminer 2013