Tonight on CTV Windsor, our guest was Imad Najjar, co-owner of Mazaar in Downtown Windsor. He made for us a Halloum Cheese Salad which was a new addition to their latest menu launch.
- 100 gr of halloum cheese slices (2 cm thick)
- 500 gr tomato (cut in wedges)
- 50 gr sweet red onion (thin sliced – half wheels)
- 10 medium size fresh basil leaves (chopped)
- ½ cup red wine vinaigrette
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
- 1 table spoon of sumac spice
- Place the tomato, onion and basil in a small bowl, add the dressing and mix them all gently.
- Place the ready salad in a serving plate.
- Drizzle a non stick pan with olive oil, bring it to medium heat and add the halloum cheese slices. Cook to desired texture – before melting point. If you wish, you may lightly flour the cheese slices before cooking to bring a better colour out of it.
- Place the cooked cheese slices on top of the tomato slices, garnish with basil leaves and enjoy refreshing salad.