With December now upon us, we went with a festive recipe that even children can have fun helping to make:
Cranberry Pecan Festive Bread
- Unbleached Bread Flour 12 oz or3 Cups
- Salt .1 oz or 1/2 teaspoon
- brown sugar 2 oz or 4 tablespoons
- Butter unsalted 2 oz or 4 tablespoons
- Orange Zest .5 oz or 1 tablespoon
- Buttermilk 3 oz or 5 tablespoons
- Water 4 oz or 7 tablespoons
- whole egg 2 oz or 1 whole egg
- Fresh yeast .2 oz or 1 teaspoon
- Dried cranberries 8 oz or1 cup
- Pecan (toasted) 4 oz or 1/2 cup
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water whipped
In bowl put all dry ingredients (flour, brown sugar, salt, orange zest, butter) stir together in another bowl combine wet ingredients plus yeast (buttermilk, water, eggs).
Mix the wet and dry together to make a soft dough if too stiff add a little water if too soft add some flour.
Transfer dough to table and knead dough for about 7 minutes until it is smooth and stretchable.
Add cranberries and knead until cranberries are incorporated.
Add walnuts and knead until walnuts are incorporated
Oil a bowl and put dough in bowl and let ferment for an hour in warm place in kitchen, punch dough and ferment for another hour.
Transfer dough to table and form into a loaf.
Put loaf on baking sheet, mist with spray oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand for 70 to 100 minutes, bread should double in size.
Preheat oven at 335 F degrees. Brush loaf with egg and water mixture. Place loaf on middle shelf in the3 middle of the oven. Bake 20 to 40 minutes until internal temperature reach 200 F degrees.
Let bread cool at least one hour before slicing.