With Thanksgiving just around the corner, we invited Julie Myers of Thyme To Go to join WindsorEats and Arms Bumanlag on CTV Windsor tonight to create a great holiday meal on live television. Julie wanted to show us a way to use something traditional (pumpkin) in a non-traditional way:
Pumpkin Sage Rice with Sausage
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice
- 2 Cups Roasted Cubed Pumpkin
- 2 Italian Mild Sausages
- ¼ Cup 35% Cream
- 1 Onion Small Diced
- 2 Stalks celery
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Springs fresh Sage
- 1 Tbsp Oil any of hot heat cooking oil
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
For the Rice:
- Heat oil in a large pan, and sauté onions, garlic and celery until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Take Sausage out of casing, brown the sausage in with the onions, and then toss in the sage.
- Add Cooked Rice, Pumpkin, Nutmeg, and Cream. Toss all together to combine.
- Add Spinach just before serving, season to taste & serve.
- If preparing ahead, transfer mixture to a large baking dish and cover with tin foil and refrigerate. Then simply bake until golden brown on top and center is hot, about 30 minutes @ 325F.