Tonight on CTV Windsor with Arms Bumanlag, we had the pleasure of hosting Joshua Deneau of Mauro’s on Erie. He taught us an easy and tasty recipe for a Nicoise Salad:
- 5oz fillet ahi tuna
- 1 egg (hard boiled)
- 4 red skin potatoes
- 1tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 cup Moroccan olives (pitted)
- 1/8 cup shallots (sliced)
- 2 cup red wine vinegar
- 4 leaves Boston Bibb lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil (to garnish)
- Cherry tomatoes (to garnish)
- Quarter potatoes, and bring to a boil in a shallow pot of water. Turn off immediately and leave potatoes in water for an additional five minutes.
- Take one and three quarters of red wine vinegar,cilantro, shallots and potatoes and place into a bowl in the refrigerator for at least half an hour. This is known as macerated potatoes.
- To sear a tuna you will need a very hot pan and the tuna fillet to be seasoned generously. Place the tuna in the hot pan and rotate every fifteen to twenty seconds to cover all sides of the fish. Rest on the cutting board for one to two minutes and slice on a 40 degree angle.
- Toss Boston Bibb lettuce in remaining red wine vinegar and season with salt. Place as the base of salad topping with potatoes, olives, tomatoes. Quarter the hard boiled egg and place on top. Fan the tuna across the front of the salad and drizzle the plate with olive oil. Serve immediately.