Pie: the New Cupcake?
Whoever said pies were taking over as the latest baking fad must have been mistaken. While nothing says Thanksgiving like pie, I say Thanksgiving with an Apple Pie Cupcake! With a cinnamon-maple base, cream cheese icing and an apple crumble topping; this is the ultimate seasonal cupcake.
This recipe requires a few steps but I promise it is absolutely worth it!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/2 cup of milk or water
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
Line your cupcake pan with liners and bake for 15-18mins.
- 8 ounces bar cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla
Topping: Apple Crisp
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a 9in pie dish:
- 3 cups of peeled, cored and sliced Granny Smith Apples
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
In a bowl mix:
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of quick cooking oats
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of melted butter
(Secret ingredient optional to add: 1/4 cup of Betty Crocker Vanilla dry cake mix. You won’t be disappointed!)
Pour evenly on top of apple layer. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.
Assemble your cupcake!
- Cake Bottom
- Cream Cheese Icing
- Apple Topping
- Caramel Drizzle
Because of the cream cheese be sure to refrigerate your cupcakes if you don’t plan on serving them same day. This is one heavenly treat…proving I guess that pie are the new cupcake!
(This recipe was provided by the wonderfully talented Bianca R.)