We’re big fans of a little bit of spiciness in our foods, so when chef Kirk Sereduik of Parkside Grille told me about his Shrimp Voodoo, just how could we resist?
“I have taken five of my favourite ingredients and the most refreshing drink, put them together to create this small dish with tons of flavour,” Kirk says.
Those ingredients? Jalapenos. Cornbread. Shrimp. Tomatoes. Bacon (of course). Beer. Put them all together and you have a great little appetizer to impress with.
- 2 pickled Jalapenos (chopped)
- 2 tbs thick cut bacon (chopped)
- 1 ¼ cup Cornmeal
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Mix together in a medium bowl.
- Get a medium size cast iron pan hot. (Almost smoking)
- Pour mixture into cast iron and put into the preheated oven.
- Bake Cornbread for about 15 minutes.
- Once cooled cut into 2 x 2 inch squares.
Shrimp and Tomatoes
- 6 large shrimp
- 6 Lime and garlic injected grape tomatoes
- ½ a pickle jalapeno (chopped)
- ¼ cup amber beer reduction
- Heat up small sauté pan.
- Add all ingredients and cook shrimp.
Now it’s time to piece it all together. Place the shrimp and tomatoes on top and in-between cornbread and garnish with fresh cut chives.