Can you believe it? We’re already into the final five days of the 30 Days of Local Wine! Have you been out to the Lake Erie North Shore wineries this month or purchased any of their wines? If so, which ones? What were your thoughts about them? Tell us what you paired it with. Maybe you sampled or purchased this 2010 Alvar Semillon Sauvignon Blanc from Pelee Island Winery. Made with 50% Semillon grapes and 50% Sauvignon Blanc grapes, this (0) sugar code wine is subtle with lemon peel and tropical fruit aromas. Lively with a rich palate and long finish.
Chef Anthony Del Brocco of Mettawas Station in Kingsville, just a shirt jaunt down the Chrysler Greenway Trail from Pelee Island Winery, kept his recipe pairing with this wine local:
Lake Erie Perch Sandwiches with Curried Mayonnaise
Makes 4 sandwiches
What you need:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 18-inch-long French-bread baguette, cut crosswise into 4 equal pieces
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 8 fresh Lake Erie Perch fillets (3-4 oz each)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Boston lettuce leaves, shredded
What you do:
- Stir mayo curry powder and lemon juice in small bowl to blend, season with salt and pepper. Cut bread pieces in half horizontally. Spread bottom halves with curried mayonnaise.
- Whisk seasoned bread crumbs and flour in shallow bowl to blend. Pour eggs into another shallow bowl. Dip each fillet into eggs, then into breadcrumb mixture to coat. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add fillets and sauté until cooked through and brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Place fillets on bread bottoms. Top with tomato, lettuce, and bread tops.