T’is the season to be hungry!
Don’t pinch yourself. It’s actually happening. December is here. WindsorEats has put together a list of food and drink events and specials happening throughout the month that may help you out during the short days and cold nights.
If you’re not a Grinch, there are some great gift ideas, too:
Holiday Savings on WindsorEats’ 2014 Cycling Tours
Think warm thoughts and give a calorie neutral gift that your friend or family member will be sure to love.
For the entire month of December, purchase a gift certificate ticket to one of our 2014 Wine Trail Ride cycling tours for only $60 per person! That’s a savings of 20%! Better yet, get a ticket with a bike rental for only $80 or two tickets and a tandem bike rental for only $150. (Regular price starting at $75 per person.)
If wine isn’t your thing and you’re in a giving mood, purchase a gift certificate for a private Bikes & Beers cycling tour for you and 5 or more of your friends at 15% off! We provide the bikes, the beer and the guide. All you and your group need to do is choose a date and show up. (Sale price $85 per person. Regular price starting at $100 per person.)
Walkerville Brewery Releases Holiday Seasonal Beer: Milk Stout
Walkerville Brewery has released The Walkerville Milk Stout, a decadent and delicious winter offering. Silky sweet notes greet the palette and roll off into a subtle dark chocolate finish. A soft roasted note should linger as the beer finishes dry. While our Milk Stout is rich and robust it is medium bodied and easy drinking. Share a glass with dinner/dessert or relaxing by the fire. 4.8%abv and 32 IBUs.
The first stout by Walkerville Brewery.
Please note: The Milk Stout is not available in growlers or stubbies at this time. It will only be available in the limited edition 2L Growler and limited edition 500ml flip-top bottles (which make perfect gifts) and on tap at the brewery.
Walkerville Brewery has commissioned acclaimed Walkerville artist, Julia Conlon, to capture the prohibition years for their second limited edition Holiday label titled, ‘Prohibition Years’.
Holiday Fair at Sprucewood Shores Estate Winery
Every Sunday in December, Sprucewood Shores Estate Winery will be hosting a Holiday Fair fit for all ages featuring:
- Local artisans showcasing their wares
- Live Music (1:00pm-5:00pm)
- A Professional basket wrapper onsite for shoppers to create their own ‘Local Gift Baskets’
- Bring the kids! – Hot chocolate…and for the adults, mulled wine. Bring your own cross-country skis or snowshoes or just walk and explore our nature trail through the vineyard and waterfront. Weather permitting, ice skating on the pond as well.
- Fire pit on our front patio! Enjoy delicious food and wine by the fire.
The schedules are to be determined.
Special Black Friday Weekend Sale at Erie Shore Vineyards
On December 1, take advantage of the Special Black Friday Weekend sale at Erie Shore Vineyards. Visit the wineries from 10:00am to 6:00pm and indulge in sales of up to 40% off on select wines.
- Vidal Icewine: only $14.95, reg. $24.95
- Cabernet Icewine: only $18.95, reg. $29.95
- Chambourcin Rose: only $9.95, reg.$11.15
- Proprietor’s White: only $9.95, reg. $11.95
- Vidal: only $9.95, reg. $12.95
- Baco Noir Reserve: only $15.95, reg. $17.95
- Cabernet Franc Reserve: only $16.95, reg. $18.95
- Erie Shore Red: only $8.95, reg. $11.95
- Erie Shore White: only $8.95, reg. $9.95
Drinks of Walkerville Walking Tour
This tour would definitely be one of Don Draper’s favourites. Enjoy the drinks and stories that make Old Walkerville known across the world, including a stop at the world famous Canadian Club Heritage Centre and Canadian Club Whisky.
You’ll receive a unique experience and some extras that you won’t be able to have on your own.
Guests will enjoy:
- A tasting and tour of the world famous Canadian Club Heritage Centre and Canadian Club Whisky.
- Jaunt through historic Old Walkerville learning about its architecture as well as some well known and not so well known tales associated with the neighbourhood.
- Be brought through the history and brewing process of Walkerville Brewery while enjoying some brews.
- Learn about the graffiti art behind The Willistead Restaurant before stopping in for a flight of drinks.
- When: The Drinks of Walkerville walking tours take place on the first Saturday of each month.
- Where: The starting point is the parking lot directly across the street from the Canadian Club Brand Centre, 2072 Riverside Drive East, Windsor, ON.
- Age Restriction: Must be 19+ to participate in the tour.
- Duration: Approximately 3.5 hours
- How Much: $45 per person. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
- Accessibility? Unfortunately, some portions of the tour are not handicap accessible.
A Cooper’s Hawk Family Christmas
Bring the family out to Cooper’ s Hawk Vineyards on Sunday December 8, 2013, from 12:00pm to 5:00pm for free hayrides, sledding (weather permitting), children’s crafts, cocoa and apple cider.
Also available for purchase will be hot food, wine by the glass, sweet treats, wine gifts, gift baskets.
Santa will be paying a visit to the winery as well to listen to everyones Christmas wishes.
Admission is canned food for local food banks.
Kid’s Eat Free at Jack’s
December 8, 2013 is International Children’s Day, so to celebrate, Jack’s Gastropub is offering a free kids entree with the purchase of an adult entree.
Indulge: A Tasting Experience
Come and join the Easter Seals on Thursday, December 12, 2013 from 6:00pm until 10:00pm for Indulge: A Tasting Experience, a fundraising event which features local restaurants as well as 2 local wineries. The event will also feature DJ Josh Karmin, special performances by Sky Society, silent auction and cash bar.
The event takes place at the Overseas Motors, BMW Showroom located at 9425 Tecumseh Road East.
Participating Restaurants will include Hikari Japanese Cuisine, Mettawas Station Mediterranean Grill, Mezzo Ristorante, South Detroit and The City Grill while North 42 Degrees Estate Winery and Cooper’ s Hawk Vineyards will be serving wine.
Tickets are $40 per person.
More information can be found on the Easter Seals website.
National Maple Syrup Day Being Celebrated at Jack’s
Visit Jack’s on December 17, 2013 as they’ll be celebrating National Maple Syrup Day with a wide selection of maple-inspired features.
Annual Mi Casita Christmas Fiesta
Mi Casita would like to invite everyone to their annual Christmas Fiesta on December 21, 2013, from 10:00pm to 2:00am.
The Fiesta will be featuring Pachanga Band, bringing the best of merengue, salsa, cumbia and more.
Mi Casita will also be having Tamales de Pollo available all day and night. For large orders of tamales you must call by December 18.
Cost is $10 per person at the door.
Mezzo Ristorante’s Annual Christmas Charity Luncheon
In keeping with their annual tradition since 2002, Mezzo Ristorante & Lounge are hosting a charity luncheon on Christmas Day.
Everyone is welcome to attend from 11:00am to 2:00pm and are asked to drop off their toys or books at Mezzo Ristorante.
Large parties are asked to please make reservations.
Community Christmas Dinner at Green Bean
Our friends at Green Bean Cafe are doing something spectacular once again to give back to their community. On Christmas Day, they’ll be hosting a free community dinner for those in need of food or companionship.
New Year’s Eve
WindsorEats is compiling a list of food and drink focused New Year’s Eve events happening in Windsor-Essex. We’ll continue to add to it as events come in.
Also keep in mind that Winter Bites Restaurant Week is fast approaching: January 13-19, 2014!